This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake fluid contamination
Hi Everyone,
After my ride today I noticed my brakes felt spongy. I came back in and tried to burp the fluid to get rid of any air in the fluid. A few air bubbles came out which was really surprising, then the colour of the fluid changed. 

I have cleaned and checked the hose, there isn't any damage to it. Only thing I'm a bit suspicious about is where the hose connects to the caliper. This week I'm going to bleed the brakes fully and see if it solves it.

Has anyone had this happen, because it seems strange that the fluid had become contaminated with no damage to the hose. Is it worth flushing all the oil with new oil or just replace the lever and caliper. Which was my plan in the future.

Thanks.

Tektro HDC-300 

[Image: 15877581_363751873991369_7240838909960126464_n.jpg]

[Image: 15876624_1332690966792035_8815466180866211840_n.jpg]
Always find the riding in the crap of winter brakes feel feeble and don't bite as well. Worth giving a bleed if they feel spongy though. Fluid in them does look a bit mucky but not that bad. Bad is when it's full dark brown, probably just has a few bubbles formed in it.
I'll give that a go. I'll strip apart my seat post to see if it loosens up.
Got to the bottom of my brake issue, the rubber boot in the lever reservoir has perished. And is was discolouring the fluid. I'm going to replace the whole brakes after pay day.