This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trek Customer Support!
Having a great experience with Trek's customer support recently.

Last ride, I noticed nasty cracking noises coming from my frame while doing the drops on Thick n Creamy... so last Saturday after a long fight with my bike, vices sockets, hammers and bolts I stripped down the frame and discovered that all my pivot bearings were either rusty, or seized or both, and one bearing was seized to a pivot bolt. 

resim

resim

resim

So I went online to Trek's customer support and got into a live chat with a guy called Ian who was really helpful, immediately emailed me the tech drawings of my bike so that I could get the bearing numbers and part number of the knackered bolt.

Off to my LBS who ordered the replacement bolt and online to MB bearings to order the pivot bearing kit.

resim

By today, all the bits had arrived and I finally had the time to put the bike back together... so I started.

Got almost to the end of the job when I was doing up a pivot bolt that joins the chainstays to the seat tube .. the tech drawings and the bolt all said to torque up to 34nm/300in-lbs .. which seemed like a lot to me and my wrench only goes up to 24nm, so I set it to 20 and thought I'd see how it went.

The bloody bolt sheared!!!  Angry

resim
resim

So... got the part number & rang my LBS, but they couldn't order it till Monday. Then thought I'd give Trek Support a try, to see if they could help...

This was the Live Chat Convo:

resim
resim
resim

How good is that!!!

Then I went to rebuild the rest of the bike and think I've lost a couple of washers, back on to customer support and the UK office was closed, nevermind, you get put through to Wisconsin, who emailed the transcript of my washer request to UK and said they'll send me a pair of washers too!!

Very chuffed with the customer support!

Makes an amateur mechanic like me a lot more able to do the big scary jobs.
trek from my experiences in the past have alway been very good, nice to see positive post when it due. Most times people only like to take time to post Bad reviews. Looks like you'll be up and running in no time.
That's pretty impressive
putting the customer first thats for sure..
Superb service, well done #TrekBikes for sure, I wonder if that bolt was quite shagged before you started (assuming it wasn't one of the new parts?).
Hope the rest of the build goes to plan without failures mate.

p.s. have Trek suggested a lower torqe rating for that bolt, or you just going for 20nm again?
Jay Dubster.
Moved to Radstock (nr Bath) but often in Medway & up for a pootle.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
2014 Boardman Team Carbon (yawn) 
(02-28-2017, 12:11 PM)dubster Wrote: Superb service, well done #TrekBikes for sure, I wonder if that bolt was quite shagged before you started (assuming it wasn't one of the new parts?).
Hope the rest of the build goes to plan without failures mate.

p.s. have Trek suggested a lower torqe rating for that bolt, or you just going for 20nm again?

Yeah really good, there's been more since then, I emailed Ian back the other day as when I put the new bearings in I felt that a couple of them seemed very exposed and that I wasn't sure if I was missing something or had lost a specific washer.

He phoned me today after emailing that they would send replacement washers for free, we had a chat and came to the conclusion that the bearing is just that exposed and I wasn't missing anything, but he's sending spare washers anyway for next time. He agreed that they do seem very exposed which is probably why there's a different system on the 2016 & '17 Fuel EX's so said to keep an eye on them and if they wear out quickly he'll sort out an alternative or just replace the bearings.

We did talk about the torque settings but I doubt he'd be in a position the recommend a different setting as he could put himself in a dodgy spot if it all went wrong but did recommend using loctite 243 (which I already do) on the threads.

The replacement and spare bits are now in the post and he's said that if I don't receive them by Thursday to contact him again and he'll re-send them next day delivery so that I'm up and running for the weekend.

Very impressed.
The bolt arrived this morning...

All is right with the work again

resim

resim
(03-01-2017, 04:57 PM)jonboy1066 Wrote: The bolt arrived this morning...

All is right with the world again

resim

resim

(03-01-2017, 04:57 PM)jonboy1066 Wrote: The bolt arrived this morning...

All is right with the world again

resim

resim
Back on 2014 when my 2009 Rig frame cracked, Trek sent me a new frame no questions asked.

Good to hear you got it sorted Smile

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been