This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resting Pulse Rate
Just out of interest what's your resting pulse rate?

I'm down to 61/minute now.  I vaguely remember going for a HGV medical (aborted career change :Smile) just before I decided to get back into biking and the doc got my pulse as, IIRC, 80+ :B  Amazing how sitting on your tush eating pizza and drinking way too much a bit too much Stella can affect you.

p.s.  not after a debate on why pulse/beer/pizza/sofa's do or don't matter, just asking for comparison.
Not sure as im in a permanent state of excitement lol, will check tonight. Not what you asked but when racing I normally average 195 ish for 80 minutes or so and can go over 200 for a while, most ive seen in a race was 207 but ive been hit 212 in the gym, its normally 170 odd just on the start line!

My friend said he wore his once whilst getting "jiggy" but it didnt go as high as when he rides his bike, he may have been making that up but then he is old so probably has trouble getting it up at all lol
"Breezer" Wrote:Not sure as im in a permanent state of excitement lol, will check tonight. Not what you asked but when racing I normally average 195 ish for 80 minutes or so and can go over 200 for a while, most ive seen in a race was 207 but ive been hit 212 in the gym, its normally 170 odd just on the start line!

My friend said he wore his once whilst getting "jiggy" but it didnt go as high as when he rides his bike, he may have been making that up but then he is old so probably has trouble getting it up at all lol
Big Grin
I've never measured my pulse during a ride.  I might have a go tomorrow.
Mine was between 58 and 65 when I went to the hospital after my crash, the nurse commented that I was pretty fit, I said "you're not so bad yourself sweetheart"

I still dont feel fit, but improved 100% over the past couple of years.
I am at the point where I can judge very well without my HR monitor during the fun races I do and I know when im going above threshold. They are useful ie at the last bedgebury race the normal happened, I start quick to get into singletrack then set into my ~195 zone and people start going past a lot but by the last 2 laps I went back past a few as they had gone too hard early on. Not very relevant for just casual rides though. Im not fit at all, just have a small heart according to my friend which is why it beats so fast.
"impished" Wrote:Big Grin
I've never measured my pulse during a ride.  I might have a go tomorrow.

is this a ride as in  mountain bike ride or a ride as in a good time ride  :Smile Big Grin Big Grin cause im sure your other half would have something to say apart measuring your HR Big Grin
Gents,
The correct way to measure you're resting HR (i'm told) is first thing in the morning just after waking up. :B
Theory is that you are properly rested & not just recovering.  This will offer your lowest reading.
You should keep the HRM next to your bed overnight so all you need to do before taking the measurment is place the strap on your chest.  Any other exersion will taint the reading somewhat, but it's all realative of course.
For what it's worth right now sat in front of the PC (which is fairly well rested) I've got 52BPM.  In the mornings as described above I'll usually see 42/43, occassionally slightly lower if I'm really well rested. :o
If my understanding of HRM is correct the real indication of fitness is recovery time - that is how quick your HR drops after extreme exertion.  When you stop at the top of that lungbuster can you see those numbers dropping or do they stay up there? Undecided
The average resting HR is 66-72.  To give you a target Migeul Indurain holds the lowest ever recorded resting HR of 28 BPM!!!!!! 8)
Mine is 54bpm sat here now...

As Martin says the best way to monitor your anarobic fitness is through watching your recovery times...

If you have a climb you do on your regular training ride then note your HR at the top, then note it again after 30 seconds and then 2 minutes...

After a while you should see a faster recovery...

Ade...  were you claiming that sitting on your tush eating pizza and drinking beer has reduced your HR...   god i hope so... at last a fad diet i can stick to..
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:Ade...  were you claiming that sitting on your tush eating pizza and drinking beer has reduced your HR...   god i hope so... at last a fad diet i can stick to..
Big Grin   If only it were that way round, I'd be the fittest man on Earth...
65-70