This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upping The Game For Afan In September
ok so now im going to afan with you guys in septemeber i want to push myself even more to get to a level where i can keep a reasonable pace going for 2 days on the trot ... at the moment after a ride riding the next day is almost out my mind as my legs are like jelly  :B will riding the day after frequently help to combat this ?  

the second problem i have is with climbs ... now im getting better at climbing but still lots and lots of room for improvement, any specific training which can be done to improve climbs ? obvious answer would be to get out and ride some climbs but around ashford there isnt much in the way of offroad climbs, maybe a few hill training sessions on road would help ?

im going to have a bit more spare time soon as no sixth form in around a month so really want to get a higher level of fitness so you lot dont have to wait around to much   Undecided and to make it a much more enjoyable experience for me ... i suppose the real answer is to get out alot more ... road or offroad i suppose it doesnt matter, still spinning the legs, but has anyone got any good fitness tips and/or training routines for me to follow

any help appreciated  Smile

yes its another of them over reacting steve posts Wink Big Grin
Bbh climbs are the closest to a rocky climb of afan you are gonna get in Kent sore bbh trips are advised.

Simply get out more I reckon.

My other advice is do some upper body work, pushups mainly, as long technical dh is hard work on the arms and back.

With the huge amount of us going, and the nature of trails it'll be very stop/start so will have plenty of recovery time.

And in your case, practice mech changes and converting to singlespeed ay?
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Bbh climbs are the closest to a rocky climb of afan you are gonna get in Kent sore bbh trips are advised.

Simply get out more I reckon.

My other advice is do some upper body work, pushups mainly, as long technical dh is hard work on the arms and back.

With the huge amount of us going, and the nature of trails it'll be very stop/start so will have plenty of recovery time.

And in your case, practice mech changes and converting to singlespeed ay?

maybe a monthly ticket to  BBH is in order for the summer then ... im working on upper body strength at the gym/at home doing at least 30 push ups at once each evening and then lifting weights

if my mech does break up there ill be fuming Big Grin, i can just see my chucking the banshee off the trail and into the welsh country side  Undecided, thats if i dont hire/ have a new one  :Smile

how rocky are we talking about climbs here  :o dont mind the odd obstacle on a climb but the loose shingle/rocky climb after the garage at BBH just takes the p*ss  :'(
Steve

Clearly getting out more is important and riding 2 days on the trot would help...

There are a few things you need to consider....

Firstly have a recovery drink at the end of each ride...   this will aid muscle recovery.. you must drink this within 15 minutes of exercise...

Make sure you pedal with a high cadance, if you push a big gear hard you'll break through the lactic threshold which is what makes your lega ache... there is no need to push yourself flat out... a 2 hour ride at 80% will bring huge strenght and stamina benefits.....

Don't worry about getting ribbed by the lads on here.... ride on the road.... preferably to an off road area... its all miles under the wheels

Don't get hung up on techy climbing... the bulk of climbing is on fireroads where a stead pace is key to a long weekend....

Ride on your own and get out with as many other people as you can...  riding on your own is great for focusing on your goals and riding with others lifts your level dramitically...

And most importantly.....  enjoy yourself!!
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
cheers for the advice so far guys Smile

hopefully can get the garmin unit working ... that way ive got a few numbers to play with.

closest place to me where i can get some serious offroad hammering is challock ... tis a fair distance on the road but still quite a nice place to ride so will probally get up there more ... come summer im hoping to attend most wednesdays rides and hopefully get out to BBH every sunday as well as riding to work and up to challock.  this summers going to be a tough one Big Grin
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:Steve

Clearly getting out more is important and riding 2 days on the trot would help...

There are a few things you need to consider....

Firstly have a recovery drink at the end of each ride...   this will aid muscle recovery.. you must drink this within 15 minutes of exercise...

Make sure you pedal with a high cadance, if you push a big gear hard you'll break through the lactic threshold which is what makes your lega ache... there is no need to push yourself flat out... a 2 hour ride at 80% will bring huge strenght and stamina benefits.....

Don't worry about getting ribbed by the lads on here.... ride on the road.... preferably to an off road area... its all miles under the wheels

Don't get hung up on techy climbing... the bulk of climbing is on fireroads where a stead pace is key to a long weekend....

Ride on your own and get out with as many other people as you can...  riding on your own is great for focusing on your goals and riding with others lifts your level dramitically...

And most importantly.....  enjoy yourself!!

Some muscle stretches both before and after will do wonders for your recovery too.
Nigel beet me to it with the recovery drink. They were all taking the pi$$ out of me in Scotland with my insistance on a recovery drink after each day (prop more taking the piss about drinking it straight out of a jug to be honest Wink) but it really works and my legs felt as fresh as day one right up until the last day of riding when it just wasn't convenient because we finished up with a BBQ at the freeride park, and i felt like an 80 year old all evening!  I was using the SIS Recovery sachets, but Power Bar is good too.
&quot;TooYoungToKnow&quot; Wrote:obvious answer would be to get out and ride some climbs but around ashford there isnt much in the way of offroad climbs, maybe a few hill training sessions on road would help ?

The byway up from pilgrims way past the gliding club (west of Westwell, east of Charing) is a good one imho
&quot;MudMonkey&quot; Wrote:The byway up from pilgrims way past the gliding club (west of Westwell, east of Charing) is a good one imho

i must admit ive never been over that way ... maybe you could show me some time ?
Yep after L2B I'll be up for it.