This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Warren..... Why???
Steve- What were you guy's thinking? Two of the Kent Trails guy's live in Ashford and incorperated some of the trails around Ashford into todays ride. They both joked a lot on the way about some of the stuff we would find, and bloody hell they weren't kidding Big Grin  The "qualifier" in the woods over the roadfrom the warren was an interesting taster, where, and i sh!t you not, they have just dug massive holes in the middle of the walking trails and used the mud to build some of the most pathetic little jumps i have ever seen. If you decided to pump them you would be greeted with a facefull of dirt, as your front wheel dissapears into said hole sending you over the bars :o  Now i am not the smartest person in the world, but even i am not that stupid. Is there not enough earth elswhere in the several thousand achers of woodland Undecided  We were all just laughing our heads off riding through the Warren which is full ofmore of the same, but on a bigger scale! My personnal favorite was the fairely big double, which if not cleared would be bad enough, but sombody has decided that isn't quite bad enough and filled the gap in the middle with loads of logs for maximum pain :'(  

There was a couple of nice bits of singletrack though, and the bomb holes were fun.
"Treehugger" Wrote:Steve- What were you guy's thinking? Two of the Kent Trails guy's live in Ashford and incorperated some of the trails around Ashford into todays ride. They both joked a lot on the way about some of the stuff we would find, and bloody hell they weren't kidding Big Grin  The "qualifier" in the woods over the roadfrom the warren was an interesting taster, where, and i sh!t you not, they have just dug massive holes in the middle of the walking trails and used the mud to build some of the most pathetic little jumps i have ever seen. If you decided to pump them you would be greeted with a facefull of dirt, as your front wheel dissapears into said hole sending you over the bars :o  Now i am not the smartest person in the world, but even i am not that stupid. Is there not enough earth elswhere in the several thousand achers of woodland Undecided  We were all just laughing our heads off riding through the Warren which is full ofmore of the same, but on a bigger scale! My personnal favorite was the fairely big double, which if not cleared would be bad enough, but sombody has decided that isn't quite bad enough and filled the gap in the middle with loads of logs for maximum pain :'(  

There was a couple of nice bits of singletrack though, and the bomb holes were fun.

as i said in the other thread i havent been there in months ... there used to be a guy called jacob up there who used to build/maintain but he went back to poland i do believe, he got p*ssed off with everyone tearing down his hardwork which i dont blame him tbh.  now its full of small children who just build what they want where they want i wouldnt be suprised if it all got torn down  :Smile, when jacob was still building there he had set up a mini 4x course down starting with a set of pumpers and heading down which he used to take timing equipment up there and time for fun ... obviously its gone to sh*t now he's left

resim

thats just one of the many jumps and runs jacob built ... i do believe thats the one you said was filled with sticks now, just goes to show how some people ruin good things ... wouldnt be suprised if it was 14 yo's knocking down the big ones because they cant do them ...

you should of given me a text Big Grin i was a stone throw away from the warren the past few days and would of loved to see the war zone state it sounds its in Big Grin
Ah that explains why it looks so neglected then. We rode down the pump track and saw the 4X course. The berm on the right is full of water, and of course Geof HAD to ride through it to discover it is nearly axle deep. As you say a lot of the big jumps have been knocked down and look very "sketchy", Tim said he's tried a few of the smaller ones and they just disintegrate as you ride over them.

We also went through the woods as you go towards the William Harvey Hospital on the left just after you pass the school (is that your school by the way?).  There are som much bigger and well maintained jumps in there, as well as a fun box type thing with an off camber landing and lots of trees to kill yourself on if you fook it up :o I took a few pictures on my mobie, i'll try and get them up later. Need a shower now after spending most of the afternoon riding through rape seed fields up to our shoulders. I am so glad there was nobody with hey fever with us today, as they would have just died! At one point there was so much pollen and seeds in the air i couldn't breath :o
"Treehugger" Wrote:Ah that explains why it looks so neglected then. We rode down the pump track and saw the 4X course. The berm on the right is full of water, and of course Geof HAD to ride through it to discover it is nearly axle deep. As you say a lot of the big jumps have been knocked down and look very "sketchy", Tim said he's tried a few of the smaller ones and they just disintegrate as you ride over them.

We also went through the woods as you go towards the William Harvey Hospital on the left just after you pass the school (is that your school by the way?).  There are som much bigger and well maintained jumps in there, as well as a fun box type thing with an off camber landing and lots of trees to kill yourself on if you fook it up :o I took a few pictures on my mobie, i'll try and get them up later. Need a shower now after spending most of the afternoon riding through rape seed fields up to our shoulders. I am so glad there was nobody with hey fever with us today, as they would have just died! At one point there was so much pollen and seeds in the air i couldn't breath :o

think the local BMXer's are responsible for them jumps ... my brothers got quite a few photos on his camera from over there.  if it was a big feck off school with Norton Knatchbull written on it was mine yes

im confused as to what woods you went in though as there is joeys woods (out the back of knatchbull) or there is the woods by the hospital,
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:think the local BMXer's are responsible for them jumps ... my brothers got quite a few photos on his camera from over there.  if it was a big feck off school with Norton Knatchbull written on it was mine yes

im confused as to what woods you went in though as there is joeys woods (out the back of knatchbull) or there is the woods by the hospital,
Right, me giving directions... this could be a disaster Big Grin Basically you know where the Shell garage is before you turn right and go onto the ring road? Go strait on following the sign for the WH hospital, past the school on the right hand side, and i can't remember if it was before or after the roundabout but there is a path that goes up the hill on the left hand side with 2 steps towards the bottom. Follow it round through a hosing estate and you come to some woods.

If that is your school, do you know a teacher called Matt Atkinson?
"Treehugger" Wrote:Right, me giving directions... this could be a disaster Big Grin Basically you know where the Shell garage is before you turn right and go onto the ring road? Go strait on following the sign for the WH hospital, past the school on the right hand side, and i can't remember if it was before or after the roundabout but there is a path that goes up the hill on the left hand side with 2 steps towards the bottom. Follow it round through a hosing estate and you come to some woods.

If that is your school, do you know a teacher called Matt Atkinson?

im completely lost Big GrinBig Grin

this is my school : <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=tn240qj">http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=tn240qj</a><!-- m --> it has blue gates with a bus stop directly outside the school, was you anywhere near hythe road?
&quot;Treehugger&quot; Wrote:Ah that explains why it looks so neglected then. We rode down the pump track and saw the 4X course. The berm on the right is full of water, and of course Geof HAD to ride through it to discover it is nearly axle deep. As you say a lot of the big jumps have been knocked down and look very "sketchy", Tim said he's tried a few of the smaller ones and they just disintegrate as you ride over them.

Hi Guys. As an Ashfordian I must comment. The woods you are on about here is Joeys Wood. There can't be any other 'well maintained' jumps in Willesborough that I dont know about??

However, there is a wood near the William Harvey Hospital which has about very small section of decent single track. Ridden in a loop it is only 13 minutes each way. I use it as part of a loop round town to work on my fitness.

The Warren is a joke. The jumps are build by young kids who clearly don't know what they are doing. It was me some 15 years ago though!!

There is only one good bit on single track in the warren but it's been ruined by some rubbish small doubles at the very bottom. They are only on a section where you would be breaking for the end of the run anyway, so there not that annoying.

I incorporate the Warren, Broomfeilds (nr Hospital) and the skate park and a few smaller woods on my regular loop fitness loop.

This is why Steve and I are always keen to get up to BBH or over to Blean to ride. There is nothing in Ashford. You see why I'm not adverse to the odd ride round Bedgebury either as it's just worlds apart from Ashford.

If you've been on KT ride today you would of gone through Kings Wood at Challock and if i'm right there aint even much there is there?

I've been out on my road bike this afternoon. Done 26 miles from Ashford down to Brenzett, then back along the cost through New Romney, Hythe and into Folkestone.

Can't wait till i Get my bike as i'm keen to get into the Bedgbury and Fowlmead races and try some of the KT rides.
&quot;mashley&quot; Wrote:Hi Guys. As an Ashfordian I must comment. The woods you are on about here is Joeys Wood. There can't be any other 'well maintained' jumps in Willesborough that I dont know about??

However, there is a wood near the William Harvey Hospital which has about very small section of decent single track. Ridden in a loop it is only 13 minutes each way. I use it as part of a loop round town to work on my fitness.

The Warren is a joke. The jumps are build by young kids who clearly don't know what they are doing. It was me some 15 years ago though!!

There is only one good bit on single track in the warren but it's been ruined by some rubbish small doubles at the very bottom. They are only on a section where you would be breaking for the end of the run anyway, so there not that annoying.

I incorporate the Warren, Broomfeilds (nr Hospital) and the skate park and a few smaller woods on my regular loop fitness loop.

This is why Steve and I are always keen to get up to BBH or over to Blean to ride. There is nothing in Ashford. You see why I'm not adverse to the odd ride round Bedgebury either as it's just worlds apart from Ashford.

If you've been on KT ride today you would of gone through Kings Wood at Challock and if i'm right there aint even much there is there?

I've been out on my road bike this afternoon. Done 26 miles from Ashford down to Brenzett, then back along the cost through New Romney, Hythe and into Folkestone.

Can't wait till i Get my bike as i'm keen to get into the Bedgbury and Fowlmead races and try some of the KT rides.
i did think he meant joeys woods ... but he mentioned william harvey so i was unsure Big Grin as i said those are bmx jumps and if you did them yours nuts  :o

kings wood has alot of potential needs someone up there with a gps/map to make a note of where everything is really
if it was joeys woods then that school is indeed where i go to sixth form Smile havent heard of him as i have only been there a year now and well i only know the teachers i have ! will ask around though
The only good thing about The Warren is the drop off at the large tree in the very middle of the woods. You can get some good air of the roots and the landing is downhill about a 4ft drop. They are fun but thats about it.
&quot;mashley&quot; Wrote:The only good thing about The Warren is the drop off at the large tree in the very middle of the woods. You can get some good air of the roots and the landing is downhill about a 4ft drop. They are fun but thats about it.

the womanly scream i let off when i did that the first time was hilarious Big Grin, theres a video of it knocking around and the guy filming drops to the ground in laughter  :B