This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet! Need to be replaced?
On the SDW + Friston ride I had a nasty trip over the bars, came down on my shoulder and ended up with a banging headache and a stiff neck. I distincly remember the impact on that part of my head being the biggest I've ever felt, and in actual fact, that part of my head is still sore to this day.

Upon inspection of my helmet.. I noticed some relatively minor exterior damage, the photo isn't great but it's not cracked, but there is a small indent of about 1.5mm:
resim

However, on the inside there is this:
resim

So my question is: Do I need to replace it? Now is a good time as it's on sale so £10 cheaper.
As I said, no cracks and seems very sturdy, but on the off chance I crash and come down anywhere near or even on that part of the helmet.. I think I'm right in thinking my safety could be drastically compromised.
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
I think the general rule of thumb is any fairly heavy impact means change it.

Are these covered under the accident replacment warranty? - MbNut should know.

If struck in the same place again with that damage already, I'd bet it breaks.

Sounds like you are wanting new one anyway!  Wink
"BMJBOY" Wrote:I think the general rule of thumb is any fairly heavy impact means change it.

Are these covered under the accident replacment warranty? - MbNut should know.

If struck in the same place again with that damage already, I'd bet it breaks.

Sounds like you are wanting new one anyway!  Wink

Hmm, I shall look into that if I remember 2nite.

I have no doubt it will break, but do I take the risk of it taking most of my head with it?

And as my income is about to go down, by a fair bit.. I'm thinking now is the perfect time!
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
MET do a crash warranty replacement but you have to order it thro ??? (cant for the life of me remember their name but someone like Halfords will tell you. You then get a % off the rrp of the helmet you want but you have to send them in your helmet + an accompanying letter before they send out your new helmet.. I did it because I was off the bike repairing myself & saved a few pounds, but it is worth looking around as sometimes the deals are better than the % off the rrp.

But to answer your question... yep, time for a change of helmet.    
Cycle helmets are made of similar stuff to the inner on motor bike helmets. It is designed to compress on impact slowing the brain down gently simlar to crumple zones on cars. Once compressed in an area it stays that way so if you were to hit your head in that area again there would be less protection.
After a big hit I would change my helmet.
Ok so a new helmet it is me thinks.. Damn!

I'm thinking that I might buy the same one, while it's reduced, aswell as look into warranty/crash replacement, then keep that as a spare.
Apart from what's shown above, it's got no other damage, but it has had some knocks off the odd tree or two
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:I'm thinking that I might buy the same one, while it's reduced, aswell as look into warranty/crash replacement, then keep that as a spare.

Defo replace and yours is a good plan.
I've also used the MET crash replacement scheme & whilst the replacement is not free it was certainly cheaper.
Although you might want to buy another whilst they are cheap as the replacement may take a while.

According to their website their Crash Replacement Policy is:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.met-helmets.com/Page.jsp?naviga=3&idpag=6">http://www.met-helmets.com/Page.jsp?naviga=3&idpag=6</a><!-- m -->

"For your own Safety, if your MET helmet is damaged in a bicycle
accident within three years from the original date of purchase, Met will
replace it for a reduced fee.
To receive a new replacement helmet, contact the local Met distributor*
in order to know the exact cost of the replacement.
Send the damaged helmet to the distributor, postage paid, with an
original and dated proof of purchase, a check of the amount requested
for the replacement, and a letter describing the accident.

The damaged helmet will be replaced with the nearest model in price,
size and colour, available in the current product line."
Got an E-mail back from Fisher a few days ago, I'm to send the helmet back to them, at my own expense, along with a cheque for £29 which is the cost of a 'discounted' replacement.

I only paid £24 for it in the first place... So that's a no no