This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTD: 8spd Chain And Cassette
ok my chain and casette are coming to the end and me being young and inexperienced just let the chain mash up the teeth on the casette as they are worn together Sad and after having my phone literally blow up im a bit tight on the money side ... so has anyone got any 8spd  chains and casettes lying around, dont mind paying money but if i can get them cheaper its worth a try, if not anyone recomend a cheap set? ... prefer sram as thats what im running right now

this thread wont implode like the last one  :B
Stick with SRAM no questions. Dont beat yourself up about wearing the cassette as thats the normal & you're supposed to chnage the two together anyway. Woolley Hat shops ebay shop are normally one of the cheapest places to get Sram gear.
Merlin are by far the cheapest i think, and they are doing some good cassette and chain deals too.

The Banshee's only 8sp, i thought it was 9 Undecided  If i were you i would get a 9sp chain and cassette and get a cheap 9sp shifter off fleebay. Think i saw one for £10 once.
"Treehugger" Wrote:Merlin are by far the cheapest i think, and they are doing some good cassette and chain deals too.

The Banshee's only 8sp, i thought it was 9 Undecided  If i were you i would get a 9sp chain and cassette and get a cheap 9sp shifter off fleebay. Think i saw one for £10 once.

banshee is 8sp yep ... only problem being that if i went 9 sp = new shifter and rear mech or does the x7 cover 9 spd ?
Surprised you have worn it out already even if it was a lower down spec! Do you clean and degrease it after muddy rides? Leaving it full of muck and grit will speed up the wear process a lot/ Only stuff I have laying around is almost brand new XT which was off the Turner and im keeping as spares for either bike as they are now tons more new!
"Breezer" Wrote:Surprised you have worn it out already even if it was a lower down spec! Do you clean and degrease it after muddy rides? Leaving it full of muck and grit will speed up the wear process a lot/ Only stuff I have laying around is almost brand new XT which was off the Turner and im keeping as spares for either bike as they are now tons more new!

yep ... taken off shoved in a pot of white spirit then rinsed before being placed on and lubed ... im clueless as to why its worn so fast to ... thats whats annoyed me
Never heard of anyone using white spirit before!! Probably ok but not sure. Cheaper stuff will wear quicker but I normally get a couple of years out of my xt/x.9 level stuff and I ride at least once a week normally. Middle rings are always the first to go
"Breezer" Wrote:Never heard of anyone using white spirit before!! Probably ok but not sure. Cheaper stuff will wear quicker but I normally get a couple of years out of my xt/x.9 level stuff and I ride at least once a week normally. Middle rings are always the first to go

read a post on BR somewhere about it ... loads of people use it just you MUST lube it up after as the white spirit degreases everything Big Grin
ok....ive used wooooooooooley hat shop before as mentioned above and had no issues and cheap
No issues using the x7 for 8 or 9 speed... one good piece of news anyway.. Albeit I cant see why you would want to upgrade from 8 to 9 anyway unless you have money to burn.... one more wont make a startling amount of difference for most riders of our standard.