This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings SMB...
Hello!

Just thought I'd finally take the plunge and post on your forum, been looking around for a while.

Getting my hands on a new MTB soon, and glad to find a forum dedicated to Kent riders; looking forward to meeting up and doing some trails, as you seem to do them regularly!

Anyway, I'm Andrew, 17, and have been cycling for a long time, but haven't been off-road too much. Live in Canterbury, but should be able to hitch a lift around Kent to some of the good off-road areas. Plus I wouldn't mind heading a bit further away in the summer, some nice tracks all over the country - Glentress looks brilliant.

Popped into CyclesUK earlier, to take a look at the Specialized Hardrock Pro. My budget is around £500, and it looks like a nice bike, so should be capable (I'll try and keep up...) - unless you would recommend that I look at another model?

Looking forward to a fun summer - guess I'll see you around!

Andrew
Hi Andrew welcome to the forum.

Specialized Hardrock Pro is the perfect start up MTB you will have loads of fum on that, Everyone on here is really nice and freindly and there is no racing at rides just everyone having fun so please join in on any rides that take your fancy.

Once again welcome.
"apeZ" Wrote:Hello!

Just thought I'd finally take the plunge and post on your forum, been looking around for a while.

Getting my hands on a new MTB soon, and glad to find a forum dedicated to Kent riders; looking forward to meeting up and doing some trails, as you seem to do them regularly!

Anyway, I'm Andrew, 17, and have been cycling for a long time, but haven't been off-road too much. Live in Canterbury, but should be able to hitch a lift around Kent to some of the good off-road areas. Plus I wouldn't mind heading a bit further away in the summer, some nice tracks all over the country - Glentress looks brilliant.

Popped into CyclesUK earlier, to take a look at the Specialized Hardrock Pro. My budget is around £500, and it looks like a nice bike, so should be capable (I'll try and keep up...) - unless you would recommend that I look at another model?

Looking forward to a fun summer - guess I'll see you around!

Andrew

hiya andy Smile nice to see someone of around my age sign up Big Grin

the rockhopper is a good bike but have you taken a look at the carrera fury ? excellent kit on the bike for around the same price, tora for and hydro disc brakes will see you long into your MTBing hobby

hope to see you out on the trails soon !
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Pleasure to also see someone my age around here as well - and I will take a look at that Carrera as well, the forks look nice. Is there any difference in the braking system? They seem to both be hydraulic and disk, unless there is something I'm missing.
"apeZ" Wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome!

Pleasure to also see someone my age around here as well - and I will take a look at that Carrera as well, the forks look nice. Is there any difference in the braking system? They seem to both be hydraulic and disk, unless there is something I'm missing.

just looking now the brakes are actually both the same ! althoug the fury does have bigger discs which offer more stopping power

IMO the fury is a great bike and a tora fork let alone a u-turn tora fork on a £500 is rare !

where abouts in canterbury are you then?
Just at the bottom of UKC (the REALLY long hill) is where I am at the moment.

Go to school locally as well, would rather say in PM than on a open forum though, so throw me a message if you want to know Smile

What about you? Ashford?

My messenger details are also in profile, if you fancy chatting on there!
"apeZ" Wrote:Just at the bottom of UKC (the REALLY long hill) is where I am at the moment.

Go to school locally as well, would rather say in PM than on a open forum though, so throw me a message if you want to know Smile

What about you? Ashford?

My messenger details are also in profile, if you fancy chatting on there!

am i right in thinking thats honey hill ? 5 minutes walk from canterbury west

im in ashford but im up in canterbury often Big Grin sometimes biking other times up at a mates who lives opposite canterbury college Smile
hmm, I don't know if we call it 'honey hill' or whatever, I always referred to it as 'the big hill'. Comes out of the uni campus, and just goes downwards into a residential area.

Lots of trees along the footpath... there's a woody track for bikes to take too, if you don't fancy just flying down the hill.

Here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source...09656&z=17

You can see the path going downwards (south) as well as the woody area a bit further left. Same place where I rode my old bike into a pond as well (don't ask...).
"apeZ" Wrote:hmm, I don't know if we call it 'honey hill' or whatever, I always referred to it as 'the big hill'. Comes out of the uni campus, and just goes downwards into a residential area.

Lots of trees along the footpath... there's a woody track for bikes to take too, if you don't fancy just flying down the hill.

Here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source...09656&z=17

You can see the path going downwards (south) as well as the woody area a bit further left. Same place where I rode my old bike into a pond as well (don't ask...).

woops not honey hill its st thomas hill ... you are right near blean which is a good place to have a blast around when you get the bike!
Welcome to the forum mate.  Sounds like you live just round the corner from me.

See you out for a ride soon!