This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crank arm removal - Hollowtech II
I was trying to remove the crank arm from my XT chainset last night with the help of one of these.  I had little success as i couldn't get the bolt undone.  Last time i fitted it i did it up hand tight with one of these so had more leverage on the bolt.

I'm wondering if i've done the bolt up too tight or if there's something i'm missing to give me extra leverage on the tool i already have?
er firstly you use that to pre load the bearings only, it does NOT secure the cranks on and should only be done hand tight. The 2 5mm bolts in the crank arm are what secures on the axle so undo them then you will be able to unscrew the plastic bit with that first tool of yours
http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3914

read backwards
"pittgoat" Wrote:I was trying to remove the crank arm from my XT chainset last night with the help of one of these.  I had little success as i couldn't get the bolt undone.  Last time i fitted it i did it up hand tight with one of these so had more leverage on the bolt.

I'm wondering if i've done the bolt up too tight or if there's something i'm missing to give me extra leverage on the tool i already have?

I did do it hand tight with that tool, to be honest the tool you are using is a bit sh*t, i can lend you mine if you want?.
Sorry prob wasn't clear there.  I realise the pinch bolts hold it on and that bolt is preload only.  What i didn't think of was that the pinch bolts will of course be holding the preload in tighter so if i were to undo them then i'd make my life a lot easier.

Thanks Breezer for pointing out the obvious that i was too daft to notice myself!!  :B
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:I did do it hand tight with that tool, to be honest the tool you are using is a bit sh*t, i can lend you mine if you want?.

Cheers for the offer Mark, i tightened it a bit after you'd put it on (still hand tight) as there was still a little play in the BB.  Anyway i think i was being a bit daft and needed to undo the pinch bolts so i should be fine with the tool i've got.
My hollowtech cranks have a little security latch which slides over the 2x5mm bolts - ensure that its UP when you have loosened the nuts right off or you still wont get it off.

Its very easy IIRC, so you are doing something wrong somewhere.

[media width=500]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgPTPkPEQw[/media]