This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dent in my Ring, oops i mean RIM
Hit a curb on the way back from Blean last night, went out tonight and noticed the rear wheel had a wobble. I flipped the bike over and noticed a fairly big kink, then a big dent in the side of the rim.

So should i follow one of the many online guides and get bending or should i take it to Downlands first thing?

Normally do all my own maintenance but think this might be a bridge too far...

Cheers

Rou
Not being rude Rou....  It's definitely not the weld dent that DT Swiss rims have?
"Legless" Wrote:Hit a curb on the way back from Blean last night, went out tonight and noticed the rear wheel had a wobble. I flipped the bike over and noticed a fairly big kink, then a big dent in the side of the rim.

So should i follow one of the many online guides and get bending or should i take it to Downlands first thing?

Normally do all my own maintenance but think this might be a bridge too far...

Cheers

Rou

:'( its not the week for wheels is it  :'( feel your pain mate, gutted

just out of intrest what rims where tehy ? would think it best to pop it down to downlands ...
Nope defo not the weld dent, its a big F-Off one, about an inch long and goes inwards about 4mm. Proper gutted. Nice DT Swiss XR 4.2d rims so not cheap to replace. Hoping Downlands might be able to fix it.

The worst thing is that after going tubeless i didn't lose any air at all. But then tonight i noticed the rear was flat. Obviously where i smashed the rim it broke the seal too. Best get dismantling, will post a picture when i get the chance!
I'd be tempted to use an adjustable spanner on it and gently lever it back into alignment, did it on a previous rim, was fine after. Not rimless tho...
Keep it foolish...
"Legless" Wrote:Nope defo not the weld dent, its a big F-Off one, about an inch long and goes inwards about 4mm. Proper gutted. Nice DT Swiss XR 4.2d rims so not cheap to replace. Hoping Downlands might be able to fix it.

The worst thing is that after going tubeless i didn't lose any air at all. But then tonight i noticed the rear was flat. Obviously where i smashed the rim it broke the seal too. Best get dismantling, will post a picture when i get the chance!

was looking at getting the hope hoops with DT 4.2's  :o think ill go 5.1's as im alot heavier then you  :B hope you can get it sorted  Sad
"alkali" Wrote:I'd be tempted to use an adjustable spanner on it and gently lever it back into alignment, did it on a previous rim, was fine after. Not rimless tho...

Thats what id do!
Oh poop :'(

There was a report in MBR or MBUK about the 4.2's having 'soft' rims..... Sad
Sorry to be rude.... But f*ck right off.... Coz i've got these
rims and no way dO I hae the cash to fix them if they go wrong. Rou this is a cheap and no problem issue that downlands can sort. (fingers and toes crossed).

By the way, my rims are fine, I'm just panicky and had one too many shandys.
Bend it back into shape.....   should be no problem....

And DT rims are soft but only compared to some very tough rims so they should be fine for the riding we do....
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />